There are two things that I often hear from people with respect to blogging.
I hate writing/I’m not good at writing.
I have no idea what to write about.
And sometimes that 2nd point can be the cause of the first point. If you’re a small business owner, you have PLENTY to write about. A lot more than you think. Not convinced? Check out the list below which contains 25 blog topics for you to consider.
25 Blog Topics for Small Business Owners:
1. How you got into the business. This can be a more detailed version of what you currently have on your About Page.
2. If you sell a physical product, have your audience get behind the scenes. Show them how you made the product, the various stages of the product.
3. What are some common myths people might have about your industry? Write a post to put their mind at ease.
4. A case study – show the problem someone was having, how your product/service solved it, what were the results?
5. A common problem that your customers have – explain how your services can help solve them.
6. Get vulnerable. Share your biggest mistakes you made when starting out.
7. Give some advice to people who are just starting out in your industry. What are some things you have learned from owning a business or being in your particular industry?
8. List the ways people can benefit from using your business, describe what sets YOU apart from your competition.
9. Share your opinion on a popular trend/recent story in your industry -whether you agree or disagree with it.
10. If you have an upcoming event or promotion – promote it through a blog post.
11. Teach them how to do something – show step-by-step photos, make a video.
12. Interview someone in your industry to gain advice, insight from another perspective. I used to have a series called MakintheBacon with where I interviewed people who created their own careers.
13. Do a round-up post– ask a whole bunch of industry professionals to provide their opinion on a common question your customers have. Don’t forget to include your answer as well. (Be sure to ask the people you asked for responses to also promote this post!)
14. Hold a giveaway on your blog. This is a great way to help promote your services, give people to experience your services or try out your product with no commitment and potentially gain more followers on social media and email subscribers.
15. Discuss emerging trends in your industry.
16. Share some of your favourite resources that you use, that relate to your industry or your favourite business tools to help you run your business.
17. Write about the launch of new services and new products. Get your audience excited about it!
18. Any significant updates to your business. Ie if you’re hiring, moving locations.
19. What is a typical day is like for you? Show them behind the scenes.
20. What your business goals are.
21. Go into detail about a testimonial from a previous client/customer and emphasize your customer service capabilities and why you believe it’s important.
23. Write your own predictions for your industry.
24. If you have a small team, showcase one of your members – what they do and why they do it well.
25. Share successes AND struggles. A lot of the times business owners only seem to share successes and don’t let people know the reality of running a business. People will be able to relate to you better when you are more honest and transparent.
You may consider the above topics mentioned to be common topics, but remember that your audience/clients/customers want to hear from you. They may not care about what so and so thinks, but rather hear what you have to say about their concerns. Your story and opinions are unique, so you can put your own spin on these blog topics. I would suggest keeping an ongoing list of blog topics on a list making app on your phone or if you’re old school, in a notebook dedicated to blogging topics. Can you think of any other blog topics for small business owners that should be added to the list? Let me know in the comments below!